Diva's Weekly Principle:

"Attitude is Everything". ~2011 Diva Principle

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

RENAISSANCE WOMAN


I'm not sure what prompt me to thinking about the term: "Renaissance Woman", I think because I've been working on the Miss NAACP Pageant and that I just needed to look back into our history.

Yeah, after two years I'm back embracing the pageant. Seems like so much tyme was wasted and I don't even know how tyme went by so fast. I feel like I dropped the ball and left these girls empty. In fact, I know I did but enough beating myself up about it so. Anyways,

As I looked up the definition of a Renaissance Woman, I found many. But, I think this one best fits and honestly I like this one the best:

A renaissance woman is someone who sets her own agenda for personal achievement and will not allow herself to be manipulated or intimidated. She understands that she has been created for such a time as this and embraces her destiny as a challenge and not a curse, no matter what her personal circumstances. She is a winner not a whiner, a leader not a follower, a victor, not a victim. She wants to change the paradigm of the feminist movement that has served to marginalize and ridicule women who do not follow their collective agenda. Yeah, I like this definition a lot...

So with that said, I thought about two women who I would describe as a Renaissance Woman.

The 1st being spiritual and biblical. I think of my gurl: Esther. Making a long story short: Esther new she was born for such a tyme as this and she knew it was her tyme to take a stand for her people and go before the King. Her famous quote: "If I perish, I perish but I'm going in anyhow". (paraprhasing) Ester could have been killed standing up for her people but The King gave her favor!

The 2nd: I would say, Josephine Baker who honestly lived such an extraordinary lyfe that to me she broke down doors that were closed in her face. A woman who was deemed "too dark for any chorus line" ended up being the highest paid. She made history with her gifts and talents.

Both these ladies demonstrated a sense of humanitarian efforts, heroism and a strong sense of leadership that created a lyfe long change to society. These women left lights on for the entire world to follow and to me that's a "RENAISSANCE WOMAN".

This is the type of mantel of leadership and virtue that I hope I can pick up and pass on to other younger women.

If you are a women, I hope you have your version of a Renaissance Woman and begin wearing the mantel. Our young gurls are dying needing us to become mentors and I know its a heavy mantel to carry but someone has to pick it up.

Lets pray together, we can wear it and pass it on like the ones that went on before us.

0 comments: